Saturday 23 April 2011

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

You get a real buzz walking about in the countryside on a lovely warm, sunny day. And that’s what we heard as we passed this garden and saw a bee-hive and bee-keeper in full protective gear. We stopped to talk to him, and asked how many bees he had. “Seven!” he shouted, “I’m only a beginner!” “Pardon!” I shouted back (because we couldn’t hear him properly). “I’m on-ly a bee-ginn-er!” he shouted again, slowly, before taking off his head protection. “But my bees are gorgeous, aren’t they? Just look at these little beauties,” he said proudly, as he cradled them in his hands.
Whilst I was getting my camera out, one of them buzzed up into his eyes. I captured the scene in a quick snapshot. “So there you are,” I said to my wife. “Beauty is in the eye of the bee-holder.”

Later on, we called in at the pub for a pint. Sitting outside in the sunshine, I was just about to raise the glass to my lips when my wife whispered “Look at me!” So I did. “You look lovely.”
“So there you are,” she said, “beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.”

No comments:

Post a Comment