Monday 13 June 2011

Scrumpy Nights

Last night was another few hours of my life lost to the lure of scrumpy down at the Hope and Anchor, our local rhyming slang inn. I think I was with the proverbial Farmer Giles, who regaled us with many of his tales.

I vaguely remember discussing recent news about proposals to cut sentencing, before becoming a bit befuddled in a slowly turning grey mist streaked with orange and large droplets of what seemed to be vodka. It was as though I was caught in a twister, but in the end it turned out to be a screwdriver. Anyway, we was debating the effects these changes in sentencing - in a legalistic sense, rather than grammatically-speaking - would have on the local sheep dog trials, when he told me about his new arrival. No, it wasn't another piglet - he has put all that behind him -, he was referring to his new sheep dog. Apparently, Shep (the proverbial Farmer Giles is not one of life's creative thinkers) tends to be a bit emotional, a bit unpredictable, and has a morbid fear of being left behind on the high moors. I think he has found himself one of those borderline collies.

No comments:

Post a Comment